Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Apple Pie Oatmeal

I like apples. I eat them almost every day. But whenever I try to add them to my oatmeal, like I see so many people do, it just seems to turn out....bleck. I don't know what it is that turns me off of it, maybe it's the big chunks of apple interspersed that makes eating seem awkward, or the lack of flavor my apple chunks have. Whatever it is, I vowed never to add apples into my oats again. And then today I broke that vow, because my "apple problem" kept on nagging at the back of my mind. I decided to go with a basic Apple Pie, and after much contemplating and "hmm"-ing, I thought that I spotted where my problem was. In all my previous failed attempts at apple filled oatmeal, my chunks were rather large. So I steeled myself, and commenced chopping (Ha. I just accidentally wrote chooping. That's an awesome word.). I made sure to chop the apple into really really tiny pieces, and thankfully it turned out much better then any of my others. The apple bits were small enough that they softened up nicely, and weren't hard to eat, and the addition of a little maple syrup and some spices helped keep the flavors up n' running. And now the question of "WHY CAN'T I ADD YOU INTO MY OATMEAL YOU EVIL MOSTLY-RED BALLS OF FRUIT?!?!?!" has been answered, and I can make oatmeal in peace once more . . . . *dramatic music*

 Apple Pie Oatmeal with blueberries, granola, coconut, walnuts, peanut butter, and sliced apple.


Apple Pie Oatmeal
-1/2 c oats
-1 c milk of choice
-1 apple of choice
-1 tbsp maple syrup
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-pinch ground nutmeg
-1 tsp lemon juice
-1/2 tbsp chia seeds (optional)

Directions:
Before boiling your milk, dice your apple into very small pieces (about the size of the top of your pinky finger). Save a couple slices for topping if your wish. You should be using about a heaping 1/2 c of apple chunks, so if you used a large apple you may have extras. Once you have finished dicing, bring your milk to a boil in a small saucepan. When the milk is boiling, reduce the heat to about medium low and add your oats, apples chunks, and chia seeds immediately. Let everything cook for a couple of minutes, and once about half of the liquid has been absorbed, add the maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice. Stir, and then let the rest of the liquid be absorbed. When the oatmeal has reached your desired consistency, transfer to a bowl and add your toppings of choice. I recommend using walnuts. :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment