Sunday, August 31, 2014

Mocha Chip Pancakes + Peanut Butter Chocolate Sauce

As I write this I be eating some fried (brown) rice (cooked in the oil of squished (pressed whatever) olives of course). Num num. I wish I could bring this stuff to school with me . .  . but if I ate this while in a populated area I'd probably kill everyone with my kimchi breath. If you don't know what kimchi is, click the clicky link. Cllliiiccck it. Then you'll know and we can all be happy.

Mocha Chip Pancakes topped with Peanut Butter Chocolate Souwce (sauce), sliced almonds, chocolate chips, and granola.

Or maybe it will make you wary every time you come near me (mentally that is. Unless you happen to actually know me of course). Don't worry, you're safe. I don't eat kimchi before going out to "socialize" (meaning talk with a close group of friends and shying away from everyone else. Yeah, I'm a pro.). Afterwards however, I ain't makin' no promises.

Ooh . . . I just got a piece of celery.

The top of my pancakes, because the top is just as important as the sides.

As I sit here eatin' my fried rice, I'm realizing that it's kind of weird to be telling people about my food.

But then I had another realization.

I'm writing on a blog. About food. So it's actually not weird at all. Or is it?

Mocha Chip Pancakes topped with Peanut Butter Chocolate Sauce, sliced almonds, chocolate chips, and some homemade granola (because pancakes+granola=awesomness).

Is it acceptable to talk about the food that you are currently eating and have no intention of sharing, or is it only okay to talk about the food in recipes? What crosses the too-much-information line?



Does dee-licious food even have a too-much-information line?

My brain's hurting from all this deep-food-thinking. I think I'm just going to go back to my lunch now.

Oh yeah. There's a recipe too. Not fried rice (unfortunately), but pancakes. Some of the most amazeballs pancakes I've ever eaten in fact. Plus they come with sauce. Which always makes everything fancier.( Did the fried-rice-talk and the pancake pictures confuse you? Sorry 'bout that. I'll make it up to you with these pancakes.) Bon appetit!


 Mocha Chip Pancakes topped with Peanut Butter Chocolate Sauce, chocolate chips, sliced almonds, and some homemade granola.

 Dang . . . Check out them chips!


Mocha Chip Pancakes
-1/3 c old fashioned oats
-2 tbsp coconut flour
-1-2 tbsp coconut sugar (1 leaves pancakes very lightly sweetened, so use 2 if you want them sweeter)
-1 heaping tsp instant coffee
-1 heaping tsp cacao/cocoa powder
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-pinch baking soda
-pinch ground cinnamon
-1-2 tbsp chocolate chips
-1/2 c milk of choice
-1 egg
-1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-oil of choice for cooking (I used coconut oil)

Directions:
In a small blender/food processor, grind your oats into a flour. Transfer the oat flour to a bowl, and add the coconut flour, coconut sugar, instant coffee, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, combine the milk and the apple cider vinegar, and let them sit together for a couple of minutes. Then whisk in the egg and vanilla.

Now would be a good time to start heating up your pan. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, then slowly pour the wet mixture into the well while mixing with your other hand. Stir only until everything is combined, and make sure not to over mix. Fold in your chocolate chips.


Test to see if your pan is ready by dripping a drop of water onto the surface. If it sizzles/jumps it is ready, if not it still needs to heat up more. Once the pan has been heated up, drop a small amount of oil onto it and spread around with a napkin. You may need more oil depending on your pan. I have a non-stick pan so I need very little. Using about 2 tablespoons at a time, drop the batter onto your pan then wait for bubbles to appear at the top before flipping. The pancakes should flip easily, so that is when you know they're ready. If you do not see bubbles after a couple of minutes, check the bottom of the pancake. If it is browned and lifts fairly easily, you may have just missed the bubbles, so you can go ahead and flip. Cook for a couple more minutes on this side, then press on the top and sides with a finger. They should be firm. Set aside the pancake and spread some more oil. Repeat until all the batter has been used up.


Peanut Butter Chocolate Sauce
-1 tsp coconut oil
-1 heaping tsp peanut butter
-1 heaping tsp cacao/cocoa powder
-1 tsp maple syrup (or to taste)

Directions:
In a small bowl combine all the ingredients and the microwave for 15-20 seconds. Briskly stir everything together with a fork, then drizzle over pancakes, nice cream or whatever you wish. The sauce firms up a bit once it cools, so if you let it sit for a while before using it just microwave it again for about 5 seconds to regain the drizzly- ness.

No comments:

Post a Comment