Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Green Mango Overnight Oats Parfait

The other day, every fire alarm in the house went off! I was making nana ice cream for lunch, and all of a sudden *wwaaahhhh waaahhh wwwahhhhhh* "Evacuate! Evacuate! Evacuate the building immediately!" *wwaaahhhhh waahhh waaahhh* Over and over again, it was absolutely ear splitting, I thought I was going to become deaf my ears were ringing so much! My mom was at the store while this happened, so I called her and told her that everything was ringing! I hadn't been cooking anything hot, the stove wasn't on, and I ran around to the different rooms, but there was no fire!!! Eventually I was forced to wait outside, it was way too loud for me to stay in the house. When my mom came she tried to silence the alarm by pushing the buttons, but that didn't work, so we grabbed the step ladder and took out all the alarms. I was absolutely bewildered, what on earth had just happened? Then we looked at the alarms more closely, and found that they were carbon monoxide alarms as well. So I got my mom the little carbon monoxide tester thing-a-mabob, and we tested the air. The reading? 400 ppm! *gasp of horror* I looked online and apparently that was super high, so we went outside to think. Information sites online said to call the fire department if that happens, so that's what my mom did. The fire truck came (it was quite impressive), and two police men fire fighter guys came and the conversation my mom had with them went a bit like this:
Police Fire Fighter Guy: Hi there.
Mom: Hi. *explains what happened*
Police Fire Fighter Guy: I see you've opened all the windows.
Mom: Yes . . .
Police Fire Fighter Guy: We don't usually do that because we try to find the source of the problem.
Mom: Oh! I'm sorry.
Police Fire Fighter Guy: Oh it's okay, don't worry about it. So the ringing just stopped?
Mom: No we unplugged all the fire alarms.
Police Fire Fighter Guy: Yeah  . . . Never do that.
Mom: Oh . . .
*they all go inside*

Essentially what I'm trying to tell you is that we did everything wrong. -_-'  Oh well. The police fire fighter guys were nice about it, and they tested our house. No carbon monoxide! Apparently there was a malfunction in one of them, which set them all off. Very annoying. After hearing the ones in my house screeching for what felt like ages, I don't ever want to hear another alarm again . . . *alarm clock goes off*


Green Mango Overnight Oat Parfait topped with cacao nibs and mulberries.



Green Mango Overnight Oat Parfait
For the Mango Overnight Oats:
-1/2 c old fashioned rolled oats
-3/4 c milk of choice
-1 small mango (I recommend Champagne/Ataulfo Mangoes, they gave me the best texture/result, but you can probably use whatever type you have on hand) or 1/2 large one
-1 tbsp chia seeds


For the Hidden Greens Nice Cream:
-1 frozen banana
-handful spinach
-1/4 tsp vanilla extract
-milk of choice

Directions:
The day before, peel, chop and freeze your banana. Then, cut up your mango, and add it along with the milk to a blender, and blend until combined. It's okay if there are some small chunks left. Transfer the smoothie to a bowl, then stir in the chia seeds and oats. Cover the bowl, then refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, add the frozen banana, spinach, and vanilla extract, along with about 3-4 tbsp of your milk of choice to a food processor or a high speed blender. Blend/process until completely smooth, adding more milk if necessary. Once the nana ice cream is done, take your overnight oats out of the fridge and give it (the overnight oats) a quick stir. In a jar, layer your oats and nana ice cream (or just dump them both into a bowl), and add your topping of choice.




No comments:

Post a Comment