Friday, August 8, 2014

Black Forest Baked Oatmeal

Today was, to put it frankly, poopy. I woke up early this morning because I was volunteering at a food pantry, so I got ready and started making my oatmeal. I was trying out a new recipe for baked oatmeal, and I was excited to eat it (as usual). While it baked in the oven, I went around and tidied up my dishes, set out toppings, etc. , all while anticipating the oatmeal coming out of the oven. When the timer reached 0 , I quickly opened the oven, expecting to see a ramekin full of breakfast goodness, and instead I was met by a oddly shaped lump of goo, with a large dent in the middle. *cue gasp of horror* I tried baking it for a few more minutes, to see if it would rise, cook, or anything, yet 'twas to no avail. It stayed exactly the same, and emitted a faint corn smell for some reason . . . I had to leave in less than 20 minutes, so I quickly disposed of the hot mess otherwise known as my would be breakfast , and looked around wildly for something else to eat, for I am not one to skip a meal, and I wouldn't be coming back until around lunch time. The thought about making regular stove top oatmeal occurred to me, but there was not enough time, and the clock was ticking. Nana ice cream wasn't an option either, for there were no ripe bananas, let alone any frozen ones. Finally, I was forced to settle for . . . toast. *cue screams of disbelief* I was mortified (not that I have anything against toast, I eat it for lunch sometimes but for breakfast I tend to lean towards the elaborate and fancy, so this was definitely not very satisfying.), I couldn't believe it. And to make it worse, after I had bolted down that sad breakfast of mine, I went straight to the food pantry. It was silent as I was sitting down with some others, about to start work. And when I mean silent, I mean you could hear a pin drop. Of course, my stomach made the loudest possible dying whale noise it could possibly have done in the situation. *cue groan of sympathy*

 So, obviously, this recipe is not from today, but is is very yummy, not to mention chocolaty. If you love chocolate and cherries (like me), then having this would most definitely make a bad day seem brighter.  ^-^



Black Forest Baked Oatmeal with a fresh fig, coconut butter, cherries, and chocolate chips.



Black Forest Baked Oatmeal
-1/2 c oats
-1/3 c milk of choice
-large handful cherries, fresh or frozen
-1 banana
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-1/4 tsp baking powder
-1 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce 
-1 tbsp cacao/cocoa powder
-1 tsp maple syrup
-chocolate chips/cacao nibs for topping
-yogurt, yogurt mixed with a little sweetener, coconut butter, etc. to mimic "cream" for topping (optional)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine your oats, baking powder, and cocoa/cacao powder, and give it a quick stir. In a separate bowl, mash your banana (save a couple of thin slices for topping if you want), then whisk in the milk, apple sauce, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, then mix until combined. Cut your cherries in half, and if their pits are not already removed, remove them. Once all the cherries have been halved, fold them into the batter. You can save a couple for topping if you want. Transfer the batter to a ramekin, then top with chocolate chips (if using), as well as anything else you might like. Bake in the oven for 25-29 minutes, then top with "cream". Dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment